Wednesday, July 25, 2012

"Before you were conceived I wanted you, before you were born I loved you, Before you were here for an hour I would have died for you. This is the miracle of life"

There are moments in your life when you know you are exactly where you were meant to be... a series of events leading to a time, a place, an experience when everything falls into perfect harmony. Sweet serendipity.

The birth of sweet baby boy Jorge was one such moment. Events and chance meetings of the past months and even years culminated in my first meeting with Sofia and Richard, (that and a bit of help from Facebook) and right from the very first email I knew this family were going to leave a huge impression on my life, and have a piece of my heart forever. It's beautiful when you meet a family, a couple, a mother with a similar philosophy of life, and indeed of childbirth.

Having gone through the journey of labour and birth with their first son only to have him arrive never to take his first breath the anxiety leading to Jorge's birth was tangible, but Sofia's belief in her body and her strength was absolutely awe inspiring, equal only to Richards ever present support and unwavering love.

Two weeks to the day after our first face to chat over a cuppa and after a morning of back and forth with updates I received the text message, a couple of hours after having her waters broken, it was time to head in to the hospital.

I arrived, we hugged; contraction.
I settled in, met a couple of the staff; contraction.
We chatted a little, I made sure my camera's were all set (for possibly the hundredth time); contraction.

It was clear labour was progressing along beautifully and the concern that maybe they'd called me too early was quickly put at rest.

At 6pm (4 hours from my arrival) as her doctor and midwife guided, with the support of her husband, complete faith in her body, and through tears, Sofia birthed her second son... he was placed on her chest... and then... he cried... A sound so precious... The tears flowed.
There was not a dry eye in the room. I was sobbing and smiling through every image, goosebumps, chills and sheer delight filling me as I captured these memories. This was exactly where I was meant to be, and this moment and this family will forever change me and have a piece of my heart.
Welcome to the world sweet baby Jorge.
Thank You Sofia and Richard, for allowing me to capture these memories and share the journey.
xx em.











1 comment:

  1. Dearest Em…words cannot experience the gratitude we feel for having you come into our lives at this time and capture this momentous event in our lives.
    We are reeling in Jorge Raphael’s presence, ecstatically happy as we wonder at this amazing life, whilst the waves of grief for our little Laurence David continue to wash over us, pain and beauty enmeshed.
    Your work and passion are amazing and will be cherished forever in our hearts, just like our sons. Thank you! Thank you! THANK YOU! ♥ xxxx

    ReplyDelete